Public broadcasting podcasts
Note to readers, Jan. 9, 2006: Numerous podcast directories have surfaced since we began publishing one on this page, and several are more thorough than ours. Rather than continue our duplicative efforts, we link to those directories below. But we've preserved links to podcasting resources.
Directories of public broadcasting's podcasts
- Apple's iTunes offers a podcast directory through its Music Store, with a "Public Radio" category
- NPR's directory of public radio's podcasts
- Public Radio Fan claims "the world's biggest public radio podcast directory"
- A directory of directories, including some not listed here, compiled by blogger Merlin Mann
Software for reception
You'll need an application that trawls the Web for podcasts and drops them onto your hard drive. A few options:
- Articles in Current
- "Podcasts: For free or not for free?" By Paul Marszalek, Dec. 19, 2005.
- "Pubradio's stations, nets team up on podcasting push." By Mike Janssen, Aug. 29, 2005.
- "Jacking in to podcasts: Trend in web audio has pubcasters buzzing." By Mike Janssen, Jan. 31, 2005.
- WGBH explains RSS feeds and podcasts.
- How podcasting will save radio by CBC producer Tod Maffin, published by AIR's RadioCollege.
- Radio to the MP3 degree: podcasting, USA Today, February 2005
- Mo' Better iPod Listening, a Mac user's "perfect iPod setup," iloveradio.org
- Getting the Whole World in Your Hand (on portable video players) by Steven Levy, Newsweek, January 2005
- Podcasting resources on About.com