KCET’s “SoCal Connected” moving to nightly broadcast

By Dru Sefton

SoCal Connected, KCET’s investigative news program, is moving to a weeknight format for its fifth season, beginning Oct. 29.   “We will continue to investigate the inner workings of Los Angeles and surrounding communities, while offering a daily recap of local headlines,” said Bret Marcus, executive producer, in the Sept. 6 announcement.

Last season, SoCal Connected won 16 Los Angeles Press Club Awards, more than any other TV station, including its Public Service Award for exposing lavish spending at the Housing Authority of Los Angeles — only the second news organization to receive the honor.

KCET was forced to shut down production of new episodes a few weeks earlier than usual last year, after losing U.S. Bank as a corporate sponsor. Several foundations and UCLA are current underwriters. KCET spokesperson Ariel Carpenter said the Ahmanson Foundation “significantly increased its gift” to the production this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT